Gujarat State Legal Services Authority
Section 9 : (1) The State Government shall in consultation with the Chief Justice of the High Court, constitute a body to be called the District Legal Services Authority for every District in the State to exercise the powers and perform the functions conferred on, or assigned to, the District Authority under this Act.
(2) A District Authority shall consist of -
(a) the District Judge who shall be its Chairman; and
(b) such number of other members, possessing such experience and qualifications as may be prescribed by the State Government, to be nominated by that Government in consultation with the Chief Justice of the High Court.
(3) The State Authority shall, in consultation with the Chairman of the District Authority, appoint a person belonging to the State Judicial Service not lower in rank than that of a Subordinate Judge or Civil Judge posted at the seat of the District Judiciary as Secretary of the District Authority to exercise such powers and perform such duties under the Chairman of that Committee as may be assigned to him by such Chairman.
(4) The terms of office and other conditions relating thereto, of the members and Secretary of the District Authority shall be such as may be determined by regulations, made by the State Authority in consultation with the Chief Justice of the High Court.
(5) The District Authority may appoint such number of officers and other employees as may be prescribed by the State Government in consultation with the Chief Justice of the High Court for the efficient discharge of its functions.
(6) The officers and other employees of the District Authority shall be entitled to such salary and allowances and shall be subject to such other conditions of service as may be prescribed by the State Government in consultation with the Chief Justice of the High Court.
(7) The administrative expenses of every District Authority, including the salaries, allowances and pensions payable to the Secretary, officers and other employees of the District Authority shall be defrayed out of the Consolidated fund of the State.
(8) All orders and decisions of the District Authority shall be authenticated by the Secretary or by any other Officer of the District Authority duly authorised by the Chairman of that Authority.
(9) No act or proceeding of a District Authority shall be invalid merely on the ground of the existence of any vacancy in, or any defect in the constitution of the District Authority.
Functions of District Authority.
(1) It shall be the duty of every District Authority to perform such of the functions of the State Authority in the District as may be delegated to it from time to time by the State Authority.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of the functions referred to in sub-section (1), the District Authority may perform all or any of the following functions, namely :-
(a) co-ordinate the activities of the Taluk Legal Services Committee and other legal services in the District;
(b) organise Lok Adalats within the District; and
(c) perform such other functions as the State Authority may fix by regulations.
District Authority to act in co-ordination with other agencies and be subject to directions given by the Central Authority, etc.
In the discharge of its functions under this Act, the District Authority shall, wherever appropriate, act in co-ordination with other Governmental and Non-Governmental Institutions, Universities and others engaged in the work of promoting the cause of legal services to the poor and shall also be guided by such directions as the Central Authority or the State Authority may give to it in writing.